We managed to make a deal with this factory in China where they produces blanks for some big players in the region. This reputable OEM factory does have a MOQ in order for them to run production for my blanks.
After a few rounds of blanks sampling and testing, we have decided on the taper, raw material and rod finishing for the blanks.
We wanted to have slimmer blanks and thus, the blank wall have to be thick enough to take the loading and torturing of ripping shear force when the rod is loaded.
Then came the so called prototype design of the rod. Simple trigger reel seat with cork grip.
Rear view of the rear cork grip.
Setting up of the handle. Noticed the EVA butt at the end? It will be changed to a rubberized butt later on for some reason.
The requirement of guides should robust, light and rust-free.
We decided to load the rod with SG titanium RSOL guides. A compatible to Fuji Torzite and cheaper...
After assembling the handle, a coat of cork seal was applied to the cork grip.
Wrapping above the fore grip.
Hand scratch rod identity
Wrapping up the guides.
Double check before epoxy
Epoxy to guide wrappings
Cured for 24 hours before seeing the sun light...
Simple black thread wrapping over the guides
Rubberized butt fixed. The rubberized butt is much heavier the EVA butt and we needed the weight to counter balance the rod.
Balancing act. Now that is why we need to have a heavier behind.
The overall completed rod weigh in at 199 grams, but it felt light in the hand and your arms will be less fatigue when using it.
(2017 - 6 )