Monday, November 30, 2015

Solid GLASS Prawning ROD

I have used factory made 2 section prawning rod and most often the time, it would not last for two or three sessions before something happened it. I knew I had to built one for the prawn....

I got myself a couple the solid glass blanks from MATAGI and start a new project...  "The ROSENBERGII project"

The original action of the glass blank was quite stiff for prawning. I had to trim down the OD of the blank to make it softer especially at the tip section. The best thing of working with solid glass blank is that you can alter the bending and action to your own liking.





I used SG Graphite reel seat with quick lock and matt carbon tube insert for
the handle.




EVA fighting butt



Guide setting




Rod action




SG- SiC K-guide after epoxy




Guides inline




Completed handle



Finishing at the reel seat beneath the quick lock hood with Fuji winding check




Well, this rod will be put to test on the next prawning session.




UPDATED 11 JANUARY 2016

Just last weekend I tested this rod for prawning at Kinta River. The catch rate was not very good but I managed to hailed up a few good size.



This rod is soft and able to see it tapping when the prawn took the bait, but it is still not sensitive enough.


I think I have to make another rod with smaller taper for a change. Making it as sensitive as possible at the tip while maintaining a good backbone at the rear.







No comments:

Post a Comment