Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Rod Weaving.. not something new

I did my 1st rod weaving project 8 years ago with little guidance from the internet. It was very hard to find any step by step instructions. The easiest weaving or rather rod wrapping I did was dragon scale wrapping. It was pretty straight forward compared the cross wrapping.

Cross wrapping with intended design is complicated. The positioning , the colors and the wrapping direction plays a very important part in the out come of the design.

Rod weaving is not what I like to do, but just to get the kick of it I tried doing one recently.

Weaving is still bearable, it's the epoxy part that kill the fun. Epoxy.. epoxy.. sanding down... epoxy.. sanding down... epoxy... repeat until you are satisfied with the flatness of the epoxy coating.

Here's a weaving pattern I tried last weekend.

Credit to Ademir Romano.

A very detail illustration stey-by-step , I would say it is like " ROD WEAVING FOR DUMMIES ". It is easy to follow and you can never go wrong if you follow the instruction. 

Some photos taken during the weaving. At a very beginning stage.



When it is done.



I used brown thread to match the timber insert of the reel seat.



Both sides.



And... after many coating of epoxy.




There!! That's it.. The outcome is really close to the intended design shown in the illustration.

Not that difficult to do after all...

NOW EVERYBODY CAN WEAVE...

:)








No comments:

Post a Comment