Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Heddon Pal Handle Refurbishment Project

A short refurbishment project of a Heddon Pal fiberglass fly rod.


A closer look at the dislodge cork rings at the top part of the cork grip.


Since I am not going to remove all the guides, hook keepers and the original winding check, I have to work from bottom up with the hope I can retain the original reel seat.

But unfortunately, this reel seat have to go. I have tried to soften the epoxy at the reel seat with the hot air gun for an hour but in vain. It was impossible to have the reel seat removed and I do not want to damage the blank in the process of trying to remove this reel seat in good condition.


I have to go with a wood insert reel seat in replace.



The cork rings are glued, stacked and shaped.


The new cork grip and reel seat are then glued and fitted onto the blank.



The NEW and the OLD cork grip



The NEW LOOK and the OLD



2 comments: