Friday, July 15, 2011

My first boat rod for my dad

Started this rod project a month ago but I just managed to finished 90% of it. I have been tied up with my day job lately..

I purchased this Gorilla Offshore series blank from Mudhole. It's a tubular 6'6" glass blank with a solid glass tip and line weighted at 30~50lb.

Standard EVA fore and rear grip with a size 24 Fuji DPSH  heavy duty graphite reel seat. Finally, I have a rod to try out the dragon scale deco wrapping.


I used mono line for the base wrap and metallic red thread for the finishing wrap.
I am not sure why they always use metallic threads for heavy salt water rods but I just follow the way it is.

I think I still need more practice. The outcome of this dragon scale wrapping seems okay but I think the scale is slightly too big. I think it will look nicer if it is smaller.



I did a double layer wrapping for the guides, 1 base wrap and another top wrapping on the guides. I used metallic gold thread for that. It is not easy to do wrapping on top of another wrap. The base thread must be packed tightly so that no gaps should on the base wrap, in order to have a seamless top wrap over the guides.

My dad's previous boat rod had a normal straight guide placement and it was broken as the blank was damaged by the fishing line. So, I decided to do a spiral guide placement (Acid wrap) for this rod.



Now, I need to epoxy the rod and guide to complete the last 10% of it. I have never done any massive epoxy job before,  I hope it will goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment