Sunday, April 25, 2010

Completing my BF Bamboo rod #2

After completed this BF bamboo blank, I was out of ideas how to finish it off. Cork grips is getting boring.

I came across Miyuki's rod and his great looking wood grips, I said to myself... " I have to make one like that.." and I was also thinking of a simple wrapping just like Calviello's rod. After all, my BF bamboo rod were modeled after his BOBFS bamboo rods.

Anyway, I just put the 2 ideas together.

I do not know much about the types of trees available in Malaysia, so I just use any tree or wood available. It turned out to be okay, I guess.


I matched the wood insert with the wood grip.


Full wrapping on the bamboo ferrule part. I was not sure of the color of the Gudebrod nylon thread used as it was purchased quite some time ago and the color code was not stated on the 50 yard spool, but it look nice after a thin coat of epoxy was applied on it.

Normally for the bamboo rods I built, I will only apply a thin coat of epoxy on the wrapping then follow by several coats of varnish. I do not like to have high built on the wrapping for bamboo rods.

I found that single color wrappings are dull and decided to do black trimmings at the end of each wrappings.

 

Again, this is the end of another bamboo rod making journey of mine for the time being...

It was fun lathing the wood grip and the wood insert on my hand drill, not much difference from lathing cork rings. But I have to use more sand papers.

Lesson learnt during the process of making this rod was.... " DO NOT OVER DO THE HEAT TREATMENT ".  This bamboo blank almost caught fire in my DIY oven. I was trying to darken the blank by heating it longer, the blank got darken but it almost went up in smoke..






No comments:

Post a Comment