Friday, January 1, 2010

Making my own fly reel seat

Nothing fancy. Just a basic sliding band reel seat.
The sliding band is actually a ring which for bought for 5 bucks each at some ladies accessory shop last year. Wanted to do this project a long time ago.

Since I am finishing up my bamboo rod, I took this opportunity or rather a reason for me to make my own reel seat. I do not have a turning lathe machine or any of the lathe accessories. I am using the basic tool that I have, that is an axe, hand drill, clamp and rod holder with bearing.
YES, I use an axe.

You will know why when you look at the photographs.


That piece of tree have been laying in my driveway for almost year.

Cut a section of around 4" to 5" , clamp it down vertically and make a hole through the wood. I tried to make it precisely at the center , but it was impossible to do it with the hand drill.

I used the axe to shape it round and then used a threaded bar to hold the wood to the drill for lathing.


Here's the secret.

BUY LOTS OF SAND PAPER.
That is what I used to shape the reel seat.

Above is the so-called "prototype" reel seat which I made. Not so satisfied with the 1st one, I made another.

This is the 2nd one. Much nicer than the 1st one and that's the ring I use for the sliding band. The color of the wood looks pale because it was not treated yet.


The color of the wood looks much more better after treating it with urethane.




And this is how my sliding band reel seat turn out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment