Tuesday, November 25, 2014

MHX 6'6" 2-6lb KR Concept UL Spinning

I have built a few UL rods recently and most of it are in 1 section. This time a 2 piece UL rod. Building a 1 piece rod is no difference from a 2 piece rod, just have to make sure the spine is aligned to each other.

Found some loose pieces of Pacbay skeleton spinning reel seat laying around in my rod parts drawer and I decided to use it. The locking hood and threaded barrel are from Fuji. Carbon tube insert was used for the mix and match skeleton reel seat.

After getting this fix, then I realised it looked like the reel seat used for Daiwa Aird. Just that they did not use carbon tube insert.




The completed handle.






Fuji KR guide system with size #4.5 guides at the top.
Black thread wrapping to the guide with 1 coating of epoxy.






Now the fun part. Metallic marbling effect was done to the 2nd coating of epoxy.
Have to do it really thin as I want to minimise the weight added to the rod especially the tip area. 






Marbling effect also applies the the wrapping at the winding checks.




The completed MHX- KR Concept Guide system



4 comments:

  1. That is looking great!
    How do you deal with 2 pcs rods, where GPS measurements suggest to have two guides on the rod's bottom section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GPS measurements are just for reference. Different blanks have different action and stiffness. Having the #20,#10,#5.5 nearer to the reel will put the load close to the joint. By spreading out the guides , it would give me a more parabolic action and spreading the loading more evenly throughout the whole blank. My 2 cents

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I'm just starting building rods, have done 2 at the moment and 3 currently on the go.
    Thanks for this blog post, which is inspiring.
    Last but not least, which blank did you use?
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabio,
      Thanks for reading my blog. Do follow my blog as I will post all of my rod building work here.
      I used MHX S781-2 for this rod project.

      Delete