Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Another Fly Rod refurbishment - Bean's LL

This was another request by my long time fly fishing buddy to refurbish his newly purchased BEAN'S "LL" fly rod. Newly purchased doesn't means new alright..

This time was more straight forward. It was just the wrapping , the guides and the blank.

I used silk thread of the nearest matching color to the old wrapping that I could find for this job.



I have all the guides removed.



Remove all the wrapping and gently scuff the surface with fine steel wool to remove dirt on blank's surface.



Then I coat the blank with a thin layer of spar urethane and left it for dry for a couple of days.



The guides was wrapped with the silk thread.



I did not use any epoxy on the wrapping.  Just a few coating of spar urethane should do the job nicely. The silk thread turned darker after the spar urethane was applied on it.



Spar Urathane will set as the same time with epoxy but will take a long time to 'dry'. Therefore, I only apply very thin layer each time.



Can't really see the refurbishment in the photo but it look a hell lot better now compared to the rod when it was handed over to me. 
: )

2 comments: