Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fiberglass blank and fly rod project ( Part 1)

A few months ago, I wrote an email to a friend of mine in China asking him to source some fiberglass rod blanks for me. Knowing which fiberglass blanks from well-known makers are expensive , let alone the shipping.

To most people, cheap things are never good in terms of quality, but to me, expensive stuff might not worth that much either. Eventually, it depends how one's perception on quality.

Anyway, my friend sent me a couple of painted and unpainted fiberglass blanks for testing and my rod project. I must admit the quality of the unpainted fiberglass blanks are not as good as I expected it to be.The blanks was supposedly to be painted, so it is understandable that some flaws are visible on the bare finish fiberglass blank..

Brown fiberglass blank and unpainted fiberglass blank. (transparent white)

A closer look at the blanks

The brown fiberglass blank looks solid but the spiral fiberglass material still visible below the paint and the unpainted blank look transparently pale.

I tried to do some coloring process to the unpainted blank, in the same time I do not want to use aerosol paint on the blanks.That would only give it a solid color which I am trying to avoid. I tried several wood stain varnish on the blanks, giving it some color yet remain it translucent properties.

The result of many many testing....


The outcome of the unpainted blank after a few coats of Polyurethane 



The yellow stained blank looks different indoors.


Next..........  Building the rod

1 comment: