Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How it all started.....

Remembering the 1st time I had a taste of rod building... or rather rod refurnishment was re-building a broken Shakespeare Wonderod. It was a 8 footer 2 piece glass rod which was broken during shipping from US.



It was broken at the butt section and throwing it away would be a waste. So, I decided to refurbish it. I have no idea what I will getting into... and I have no confidence if I will be able to refurbish or not. After all, if I don't refurbish it , I will be dumping it.... so , why not?

So, I stripped all the guides and managed to salvaged the cork grip.


Then, my journey of information seeking started. I did a lot of reading on rod building and rod refurbishment from internet. This should be fun, I thought.

I started assemble the original cork grip and reel seat using Devon 5 minutes epoxy.



Found the guide spacing from the internet. As I do not have any wrapping threads, I have to recycle the threads which was removed from the rod and finished off the wrapping with nail varnish.



I even tried to do feather inlay at the butt section. It seems so enticing and I just could not resist doing it.



The refurbished 6' rod turns out to be good, so to say.

Later, I purchased a few more graphite blanks and started to build basic fly rods for practice.


A 6'6" 2wt fly rod..





A 3/4wt 8' 4 piece fly rod...



A.Parramoure 2/3wt 6' 4pc




As I got more confidence in handling the finishes of the rod, I tried to build fanciful fly rod with signature wrapping. But that is another story...............................


No comments:

Post a Comment