Monday, December 28, 2009

Bamboo rod with a difference.....

After having a hard time building my 1st bamboo rod, my 2nd one seems to be much more easier..

Perhaps after all those trial and errors, and problems which I have encountered during the making of my 1st bamboo rod, I guessed things just became simpler. As they said, the 1st step is always the hardest.

I am on my 2nd bamboo rod and this time will be slightly different from the 1st one. This time I will try to build an integral bamboo ferrule. Yes, no more metal ferrules.

Remembering the 1st time I saw a bamboo rod with integral bamboo ferrules was a Calviello's rod.

My friend, Riki bought one. It was pricey but very unique. I never saw anything like that before in Malaysia. There are so few people who uses bamboo fly rods here, let alone one with bamboo ferrules.

Even before I completed my 1st bamboo rod, I started looking up on bamboo ferrules. To my knowledge, there are 2 rod makers pioneered bamboo ferrules in their own ways. Marcelo Calviello with his BOBFS ( Bamboo over bamboo ferrule system ) < http://calviellorods.blogspot.com/2007/10/question-answers-about-bamboo-ferrules.html > and Bjarne Fries with his FIBH ( Fries Integrate Bamboo Hexaferrule ) connection < http://www.fries-rods.dk/ >.

Later I got to know about Alberto Poratelli from some forumers in some bamboo fly rods related forums. I started reading Alberto's write up on his findings and the construction of the bamboo ferrules. < http://www.aprods.it/e_presentazione.htm >

I told myself I must make one or at least try to make one for myself. I have seen some hobbyist rod makers in US have done it and I think I can do it.... I have some help from Larry Lohkamp and Mike Peck of The Bamboo Rod Room in sourcing information on bamboo ferrules.

That was how this project started...

The most difficult part of making bamboo rod to me are the initial steps... stripping and straightening.

Rough strip forming was easy.. as I have got a Medved beveller..














Setting up the planing was a bit difficult because there is a swell at the end of the tip for the bamboo ferrule. There was also some calculation for the swelling, thickness and the depth of the bamboo ferrules. My timber planing form was made of hard wood and it was difficult to flex to form the swell part.


















Finally, the tip section is completed.






Now for the difficult part.... construction of the bamboo ferrules.
I do not have the form for cutting the thin wall for the ferrules. I made a shallow groove on some timber that I have.














The thin wall for bamboo ferrule that I made was measured at 0.96mm.
The thickness should be the same for all 6 strips, if not, there will be a problem inserting the spigot.


Gluing up the strips.. and hang dry


While waiting for the tip to dry, I started work on the butt section.


2 days later, excessive glue are scrapped and the blank are sanded.






The bamboo ferrules need to be reinforce or strengthen due to its' thin wall.

















A layer of epoxy was applied to the internal side of the bamboo ferrules.
Excessive epoxy at the opening was carefully removed.












Silk wrapping was done to reinforce the bamboo ferrule externally. A thin layer of epoxy were applied to the silk wrapping and this turned the wrapping translucent.

The progress has been good so far. I managed to completed the blank...
And next step will be the finishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment